The 2023 celebration of the Columbus Latino Heritage Month will be held between September 15th and October 15th, 2023, with several activities including the Annual Parade, Policy Day, Business Certification, and Art Show. The month-long celebration will be hosted by the Office of Councilmember Barroso de Padilla and the Columbus Latino Heritage Month Committee
Latino Heritage Month celebrates the histories, cultures, and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America.
This year’s month-long celebration will kick off with a welcome reception and illumination of City Hall, followed by the 2nd annual Latino Heritage Month Parade and Festival on September 16th.
“Latino Heritage Month is a time for us to celebrate and uplift the many contributions of Latinos to our community and our nation. Throughout the many events of the month our residents will get to experience the richness and beauty of the Latino culture through food, music, and the arts,” says Councilmember Lourdes Barroso de Padilla.
“The Latino population in the greater central Ohio region now equals roughly the entire population of Dayton. Latino small businesses are an economic force in our economy and Latino leaders are representative in every sector of our community. It’s a reminder of our immigrant roots as a city and a sign of the growing diversity that makes our city great.”
Details for each event are as follows:
- Latino Heritage Illumination and Padrinos Welcome Reception – This kick-off will unveil The parade’s Padrinos (godfathers) and Madrinas(godmothers) who will serve as grand marshals. The honorees are Latino community leaders and contributors in Columbus. This year’s Padrinos are Henry Guzman, Volunteer Disaster Team Leader and Board Member of American Red Cross Columbus Chapter and Derek Amaya, Owner of The Cave. Madrinas are Sandra Lopez, City Council Community Engagement Team and Alma Diaz, Founder of Alianza 614.
- Date: Tuesday, September 12
- Time: 6:30-8:00
- Location: City Hall (90 W. Broad St.)
Latino Heritage Month Parade and Festival – This lively event celebrates the diverse and dynamic contributions of the Latino community to our city and beyond. Different local organizations that work to support and highlight the richness and diversity of the Latino community will march in the parade.
- Date: Saturday, September 16
- Time: 11:00am – 4:00pm
- Location: The parade route begins at Civic Center Dr. and Rich St., turns left on High St. towards Broad St., then turns left on Broad St. and ends at Broad St. between Marconi Blvd. and Civic Center Dr.
Latino Policy Day – This event will begin with a powerful discussion about the problem of unaccompanied minors entering the U.S., their journeys, and the challenges they face. A screening of the documentary, Which Way Home, will be shown followed by an expert-led Q&A discussion.
- Date: Thursday, September 28
- Time: 6:00 – 8:30pm
- Location: Auditorium of Columbus Museum of Art (480 E Broad St.)
Minority Business Certification Event – In collaboration with the City of Columbus Office of Diversity and Inclusion and the Columbus Crew, this event will be an opportunity for minority owned businesses to become certified with the city.
- Date: Thursday, October 5
- Time: Approx. 6:00pm
- Location: Huntington Club at Lower.com Field (96 Columbus Crew Way)
Latino Art Show – El Futuro/The Future: Art Show and Exhibit will feature works of Latino artists based in Columbus and surrounding areas. The exhibit will open on October 13th and will run through November 2nd. The art show is being made possible through partnership with Wild Goose Creative, Good Land, and El Mercadito.
- Date: Friday, October 13
- Time: 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Location: Wild Goose Creative (118 McDowell St.)
Also at the art show, multiple community members will be honored through the Esperanza Awards.
Support the New Americans magazine to continue to serve our community with precise news that affect the new American, immigrant and refugee community. https://paypal.com/donate/?hosted_button_id=8LHFS78NRNJJY&source=url