Ohio Governor Mike DeWine (R) has appointed seven Ohioans, including former Governor Ted Strickland (D) to the Ohio Commission for the U.S. Semiquincentennial to plan, encourage, develop, and coordinate the commemoration of the 250th anniversary of the founding of the U.S. and the impact of Ohioans on the nation’s past, present, and future.
The work of the Commission will lead up to the 250th anniversary on July 4, 2026, of the Declaration of Independence of the 13 Colonies in 1776.
The seven members appointed by Governor DeWine include –
- Doug Preisse, who will serve as the chair of the Commission, serves as Principal at VanMeter, Ashbrook & Associates.
- Mike Coleman, who will serve as co-chair of the Commission, served previously as mayor of Columbus and currently is a Partner at Ice Miller CCP.
- Kelly Falcone Hall serves as the President and CEO of Western Reserve Historical Society in Cleveland.
- John Fleming currently serves as the Immediate Past National Chair of the Council for The American Association for State and Local History.
- Elizabeth Pierce serves as the President and CEO of the Cincinnati Museum Center.
- Ted Strickland served previously as governor of Ohio and as a U.S. Congressman.
- Mackensie Wittmer serves as the Executive Director of the National Aviation Heritage Alliance.