The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will continue to accept properly filed applications for Liberian Refugee Immigration Fairness (LRIF) from eligible Liberian nationals and their family members until December 20, 2021.
”Family members include the spouse, unmarried children under 21 years old, and unmarried sons or daughters 21 years old or older of a Liberian principal applicant who are living in the U.S. and who meet the eligibility requirements to obtain lawful permanent resident status,” according to a reminder statement from the Public Engagement Division of the USCIS.
- Properly file his or her own Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, which must be received by USCIS on or before December 20, 2021;
- Be admissible to the United States for lawful permanent residence or eligible for a waiver of inadmissibility or other form of relief; and
- Establish their qualifying relationship to the Liberian principal applicant. The qualifying relationship may have been created before or after the Liberian principal applicant’s adjustment, but it must exist on the date of filing and date of adjudication of the family member’s adjustment application.
- Eligible family members may file their adjustment application:
- Together with the Liberian principal applicant’s LRIF-based adjustment application; or
After the Liberian principal applicant filed an LRIF-based adjustment application that remains pending a final decision or was approved by USCIS.
- An eligible family member may not adjust status before the qualifying Liberian principal applicant. Adjustment of family members must be concurrent with or subsequent to the Liberian principal applicant’s adjustment to LPR status.
Eligible family members do not need to:
- Demonstrate Liberian nationality; or
- Demonstrate continuous physical presence in the U.S. since November 20, 2014.
On April 27, 2021, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services issued policy guidance regarding eligibility requirements, filing and adjudication of adjustment of status applications based on the Liberian Refugee Immigration Fairness (LRIF) provision in the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020 (NDAA).