By Taiwo Akinlami
The #NOPROTECTIONNOCHILDHOOD TOWN HALL MEETING is an initiative presented by The Power Parenting® Company LLC, in collaboration with S.A.F.E® for Children Society, and hosted virtually by Taiwo AKINLAMI, Co-Founder and CEO of The Power Parenting® Company LLC, based in Columbus, Ohio.
Taiwo Akinlami, the convener of the townhall meetings, introduced this impactful initiative as a response to the tragic incident involving Sylvester Oromoni, a child who lost his life due to alleged bullying by fellow students at a school in Lagos State, Nigeria. The purpose of the townhall meeting is to achieve the following objectives:
• Create a platform for the exchange of best practices between the African continent and developed regions such as North America and Europe.
• Address the subject of Securing A Friendly and Protective Environment (S.A.F.E) for Children®, reaching out to people of African descent globally.
This monthly virtual Townhall meeting, known as #NOPROTECTIONNOCHILDHOOD, commenced in February 2022. Since its inception, seventeen meetings have been successfully conducted, with an impressive, and combined attendance of over 8,000 active participants and key stakeholders. These participants include primary and secondary parents, Child-Focused Non-Governmental Organizations, Community-Based Organizations, Faith-Based Organizations, Government Agencies, School Leaders, Teachers, and Associations from Sub-Saharan Africa, Australia, Asia, North America, and Europe. The remarkable impact and positive feedback received have been truly remarkable.
The #NOPROTECTIONNOCHILDHOOD Town Hall Meeting 17.0, with the theme: Navigating the 21st Century: ‘Raising African Children in THE WEST – The Inevitable Things to Keep in Mind’ held on August 26, 2023, marked a significant milestone as the 17th edition of the event. Attended by over 200 participants from the United States of America (Columbus, Ohio), Canada (Toronto), Nigeria (Abeokuta, Ogun State, Abuja, Delta State, Lagos State, and Uyo, Akwa Ibom State), and Europe (United Kingdom), the meeting garnered substantial interest. Convened by Taiwo Akinlami, Co-founder and CEO of The Power Parenting® Company LLC, the event featured Zeenath Sheikh, a passionate Community and Non-Profit Leader and IT Expert from Columbus, Ohio, USA, as the guest speaker. Ayo Ayeni, Founder of Haven Advocacy and member of Taiwo AKINLAMI Academy Faculty moderated the engaging session.
Key Takeaways from the Session:
1. The modern world, particularly in Western contexts, is significantly shaped by IDEOLOGIES. These IDEOLOGIES are propelled by INTERESTS, which, in turn, are guided by AGENDAS that cater to the interests of the proponents.
2. In the Western context, it is imperative to comprehend our BELIEFS—how deeply we are committed to upholding these beliefs and our capacity to effectively pass down these beliefs to our cherished children.
3. While upholding our BELIEFS, it is vital to consider our geographical location, taking into account the prevailing IDEOLOGIES, INTERESTS, and AGENDAS of the environment.
4. For parents residing in the WEST, active involvement in the lives of our treasured children remains pivotal, despite economic pressures and allures. We must emerge as the primary influencers in their journey of socialization.
5. Parents who are first-generation immigrants in the West, with deeply ingrained cultural backgrounds, should be prepared for the potential cultural clash between themselves and their children. These children are growing up and being shaped by a different culture, requiring thoughtful responses rather than knee-jerk reactions.
To revisit this enlightening session, the recording is available on the Taiwo AKINLAMI YouTube Channel through this link: https://youtube.com/live/TD_wCwoGGYU?feature=share.
The program will be hosted online again next month, delving into various aspects of Securing a Friendly and Protective Environment® for Children (Child Safeguarding) and engaging participants from different cities and countries.
The Power Parenting® Company LLC champions Parenting Education as an instrument for social transformation and nation-building, empowering African parents and parents of African descent worldwide to raise culturally aware and globally compliant children. In pursuit of this mission, the company embarked on the #NOPROTECTIONNOCHILDHOOD Campaign in partnership with S.A.F.E for Children® Society.
S.A.F.E® for Children Society is a non-profit and non-political organization focused on engaging precious African children, young adults, and primary and secondary parents in meaningful conversations. The society collaborates with child-focused professionals, policymakers, institutions, and caregivers to envision, design, plan, and provide care for the precious African child.
Support the New Americans magazine to continue to serve our community with precise news that affect the new American, immigrant and refugee community. https://paypal.com/donate/?hosted_button_id=8LHFS78NRNJJY&source=url